June 8, 2012
Looks like my rain dance finally paid off…and the rain gods aren’t letting up anytime soon. So until the clouds clear and mr. sun comes back out to play, you’re probably going to be stuck inside. I know, I know, you want to be outside drinking margaritas on the patio or taking a dip in the pool – but I have just the right cure for those rainy day blues: DIY projects!
For those of you who have not jumped on the DIY train after watching Nate Berkus work his magic on a 10×10 New York City apartment or experts on the DIY Network turn baskets into bookshelves, you may be asking why DIY? Below are my top five reasons to get out there, put the hammer to the nail and DIY:
1. Saving money. When a gallon of milk cost $3, why spend money when you don’t have to?
2. Family togetherness. Make a fun day of it with the family and create something you all can treasure for years to come.
3. Sustainability. Go green.
4. Great one-of-a-kind gifts. DIY gifts are more personal, they show you put time and effort into creating something just for them.
5. And, last my personal favorite: unleashing your creativity!
Before getting started on your amazing DIY project, you probably want to spend some time flipping through magazines and gathering inspiration, right? Wait…magazines? So 2010. Hello Pinterest. Yes, everyone’s favorite virtual pinboard is the one stop site to go for anything DIY.
Maybe you’ve been wanting to rearrange your living room or make better use of that blank wall in the den. Or, perhaps all your room needs is a bit of color. Whatever the design problem may be, you’re guaranteed to find the solution on the millions of DIY boards created by your fellow pin pals. I recommend checking out these 10 DIY experts on Pinterest for inspiration before you finally tackle that project (you know the one you’ve been putting off for a rainy day). Happy upcycling!
- Katie Cohen, Junior Copywriter